Chiropractic Care as A Neck Pain Treatment Option
If you have been suffering from neck pain for a long time, chiropractic care could be a great relief. It’s a non-surgical way of treating the pain. Chiropractors are known not just for treating a specific condition or symptoms, but a whole person.
Neck pain is common in adults, but it can hit you at any age. 15 percent of the U.S. adults complain about neck pain that lasts for at least one complete day in the course of a year. The pain can suddenly develop from an injury or overtime because of poor posture. Usually, self-care such as improved posture, resting or ice massage can alleviate the pain but if the pain is serious or persistent, you will need a proper neck pain treatment.
The question now is when is neck pain serious? If the problem is serious, you will experience symptoms such as tingling, numbness, or weakness in your arms, shoulders or hands; neurological troubles, problem with coordination and balance, fever, chills etc.
Chiropractors can treat different types of neck conditions such as cervical sprain injuries, intervertebral disc injuries, face joint sprain, degenerative joint syndrome, whiplash, and more.
How Do Chiropractors Diagnose?
As you visit a chiropractor for treating your neck pain, they will first diagnose it. To find out the cause of the pain, they begin with determining which areas have restricted movement. They might ask you to walk in front of them to observe your posture and spinal alignment. This is meant to understand your body’s mechanics.
After performing your physical exam, the chiropractor will inquire about your past medical history or order an X-ray or MRI for diagnosing the cause of neck pain if they feel that it is pertinent to do so. All this information will help the chiropractor in understanding your pain and come up with a customized treatment plan. If surgery is the only option left to treat your condition, you will be referred to a spine surgeon.
Chiropractic Treatments For Neck Pain
Usually, chiropractors use a combination of treatments to treat the neck pain. These treatments include:
- Flexion-distraction: It’s a hands-on spinal manipulation in which some pumping action is performed on the intervertebral disc. No direct force is applied.
- Spinal manipulation: It’s a specific spinal manipulation technique that helps restore joint movement by gentle thrusting.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation: For this method, a hand-held instrument is used to apply force without pushing into the person’s spine.
Manual Therapies For Neck Treatment
- Soft tissue therapy: In this treatment, special instruments are used for diagnosing and treating muscle tension.
- Joint stretching and resistance: It’s a manual treatment meant to reduce the neck pain and other symptoms.
- Trigger point therapy: Its purpose is to relieve tight muscles and painful points.
- Massage therapy: It’s a therapeutic massage meant for relaxing tensed muscles.
The neck pain treatments offered by chiropractors aim to fix the root cause of the pain instead of just treating the symptom. This no-surgery and no-drug treatment has alleviated the pain of thousands of people.